Monday, March 14, 2011

"Suspecting Palestinians, Israel Seeks Killers of 5 West Bank Settlers"

"Suspecting Palestinians, Israel Seeks Killers of 5 West Bank Settlers"

As a Jew, and one is who is quite Pro-Israel, I am not naive enough to think that I am not biased in every which way. However, this article's title, published by the New York Times, found here, www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/world/middleeast/13mideast.html, truly bothered me. "Suspecting Palestinians," immediately softens the blow. Correct, it has not been proven that they were the killers, however, it is well more than likely. I mean the real story here is that five members of the Fogel family were stabbed to death in their sleep, a cruel and disgusting way to murder. Perhaps, I'm over thinking this one, I would love to hear your thoughts. 

4 comments:

  1. You are right, it may have been (and probably was) the Palestinians, but it is important that our news does not state speculation as news. The NY Times was right to say that they are "suspecting" the Palestinians since it is true that the killers have not yet been found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that is fair that they used the word "Suspected." However, why did that need to be in the headline at all? Why could it not simply say, "Israeli's seek killers of 5 West Bank Settler?" Again, maybe I'm completely biased, but I believe that this was to shift the focus off what actually transpired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam - I think you are correct in acknowledging your bias, it seems that you want to see an article that portrays the horror of what occurred. And your idea of what "horrible" sounds like, is different than someone else's. As Jews who feel a connection to the Fogel family, we want the news to echo all the hurt and pain that we feel. Its personal. Many recent comments on facebook have all condemned the news for a bias. I dont see anyone saying similar things about the news not using the right language to express the horror of the situation in Japan. Maybe its because we aren't reading those articles as much, or maybe because it doesn't hit us in the exact same place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie - I could not agree more with your analysis. It is personal and I am biased, but at the same time the word "Suspect" shifts the focus off the tragedy and I wish they would simply hone in on the devastating occurrence as opposed to speaking about the suspects. This act was heinous in every which way and that is the only story line as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete